Thursday, March 31, 2005

Welcome to the Night Gallery

Well, as it turns out, Lileks wasn’t gone, after all. He just forgot to post on his site. All’s right with the world, then (at least in my cube during lunch break). Recently, I found a couple of interesting "Night Gallery" sites. It prompted me to fire up the ole DVD player and go through a couple of episodes. I have the first season boxed set and I’m tellin’ ya – they’re priceless. Don’t get me wrong though. I thoroughly realize the “Night Gallery” was severely flawed in many ways and it was certainly no “Twilight Zone”. But when it got something right (“They’re Tearing Down Tim Riley’s Bar”, “The Caterpillar”, “Little Girl Lost” - to name a few) they really got it right. Plus, they had access to some pretty big names in the business (Joan Crawford, Edward G. Robinson, Vincent Price, William Windom). It also, defined a time in my life when I was at home with my folks and in the safety and comfort of my room. This was before I had to face to harsh realities of the day to day working world. The disappointments of relationships and struggle to keep afloat were still ahead of me. Behind me was childhood, play time and looking forward to dessert. I was in the holding pattern of adolescence. A time for wanting independence and still needing mom, dad and the covers of my childhood bed wrapped securely around me late at night. Enveloped by the familiar sounds and smells of home as I drifted off to dream of all the wonders I would encounter when I was older.
If I only knew, then.
I’m glad that I didn’t.
Don’t get me wrong. These days, I feel more up to the task of tackling life than I ever have. I’m more confident and sure of my paces. I have the energy of wisdom to act as my force field and the sharp edge of experience to combat the dragons of reality. But, you know, tonight when I get home from work, I think I’m going to watch a couple of episodes of “Night Gallery”. Hmmm... yes, I think “Return of the Sorcerer” will do just nicely.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home