Tuesday, April 26, 2005

I'm Back (Whew!)

Well, that was a long spell of frantic work and sleep. Oh yes, that’s right – eating. I did get some meals in there, as well. I think. Now, that I have budgeted my time, I can still work the insane hours and still have time for a microscopic semblance of a life until the rest of this typhoon blows over. The only really tough part is coming up with things to write about. It certainly won’t be about too many things current, since I’m not sure how interesting a diary of daily work issues would be (unless my name was Scott Adams – which it’s not).
My wife, Cheryl, has a distinct advantage over me in that she’s worked in psychiatric nursing for a number of years. There was a time, there, when just about every day she came home with some bizarre anecdote involving some patient and their “alternate” view of reality. Sitting here in the relative quiet of an after hours time in my cubicle, I’m reflecting back to a conclusion that I'm sure many folks share. Namely, we’re all insane to one degree or another. It’s mostly a question of functionality. How often have you been associated with an individual and just wanted to say, “Do you realize how crazy you actually are? I don’t mean as in a ‘wild and crazy guy’. I mean as in Hannibal Lector crazy.” No lie – I’m amazed at how some people function. It’s as if the world is providing this amplified buffer. As long as you can avoid ending up on a street corner talking to that interesting person who just isn’t there (and having that meaningful argument), chances are you’ll be OK. You’ll find work, of some sort. Find a mate and by golly, reproduce. Then your brood can trundle off to infiltrate the world and assist us all by providing us with fast food selections we neither ordered nor wished to try. After all, variety is the spice of life.
Next up, movies I wish to all that’s holy, I had never sat through.

3 Comments:

At 5:05 AM, Blogger Cullen Waters said...

Glad to have you back, and thanks! Gave me an idea as to what I'm going to do with tomorrow's post at my site. There are PLENTY of movies I wish I never seen.

Except, of course, if I had never watched them, then I would be curious as to how they were and would, in all likelihood be watching them in the future.

So I guess, in the end, I really wish the movies were never made.

Any way, hope you don't mind me stealing the idea...

 
At 7:02 AM, Blogger BeckoningChasm said...

I think the human animal is quite skilled at building a mental environment for itself. Since humans are "sorting" creatures, it's quite easy for us to sort incoming info into "supports my worldview--accept" and "doesn't support my worldview--discard" piles. For the most part, it's only opinions and things, and kind of harmless; it's when it reaches the stage of justifications for criminal activity that it becomes scary.

Throughout a person's life I think they experience several "conceptual breakthroughs" when an entire worldview is suddenly shifted or reversed.

Cool stuff to think about, thanks!

 
At 2:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm supprised more people don't tell me how crazy I am.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home