Wednesday, April 06, 2005

Stormy Weather

Moving right along in the recovery department, I’m still climbing my way out of the pit of infirmary. There’s just a residual annoying cough, now, and I have lots more energy. Things are going well except for the weather. A huge storm woke me up around 4:30 AM. You know you’re in for it when the flashes of lightening and thunder share the same moment in time instead of the thunder arriving fashionably late. No damage to the house, though, which is more than some of my fellow Mississippians (cringing – I’m from New York, dammit) can claim. People. When will it become apparent that trailer homes are to storms and tornadoes as Godzilla is to Tokyo. You might just as well strap a lightening rod to your head and toss all your belongings in the nearest creek. Okinawa is the poorest prefecture in Japan, yet no one lives in a trailer home. Why? One word – “typhoon”.
Well. I was recently adding to my collections of obscure and/or cult films. In this case, “El Topo” (not to be confused with that mouse on "The Ed Sullivan Show") and “David and Lisa” (the DVD – I already had a copy of it on VHS) and it occurred to me that I might practice my writing skill by attempting a few reviews. It’s always a challenge approaching something like this since most films have already had extensive coverage. Therefore, the trick is in the subtleties of perspective, which requires a good deal of thought. Needless to say, this will have to begin after I come off this current overtime schedule at work. But, there’s hope. I have, just today, been authorized to hire an additional 15 technicians along with some extra support personnel so that we can catch up on our backlog. This will allow us to wind down to a 5-day workweek. It’s strange to think of something like that as a forgotten luxury. You can be assured that I will be overseeing some intensive training to get us where we need to be as soon as humanly possible. Tonight, after work – “Painkiller” and the B-movie de jour.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home