Saturday, April 02, 2005

A Man's Home...

Here it is, Saturday, and things are turning out pretty much like yesterday. I saw an interesting movie, last night. It’s called “Castle of Blood” (1964) and it stars the legendary horror film hot chick Barbara Steele. The original title is “Danza Macabra” since it’s an Italian film and “Danse Macabre” in France. The plot revolves around a writer who accepts a bet that he cannot stay an entire night in a supposedly haunted house. The original was censored for content (including a modest lesbian reference – remember, this was 1964) when released to the United States. The copy I have has those scenes restored, but they remain in the French with English subtitles. It’s a bit jarring to go from English to French pretty much in mid scene with a completely different film quality and then back to English again. Therefore, I only recommend this particular version to someone who has already seen the US release and is interested in the edited scenes for artistic reasons. Actually, there is some interesting dialog from the Edgar Allen Poe character in the French version that would have enhanced the US release. I imagine they thought that it was a bit long winded for the short attention spans of Americans, at the time. The movie, itself, is one of the best Italian horror films I have ever seen and it builds a highly effective creepy atmosphere. Barbara Steele is in excellent form, as usual, and so is rest of the cast.
I see in the news that Pope John Paul II has passed away. In my opinion, he was a phenomenal religious leader. In reading his biography, I’m actually stunned by all of his accomplishments. He’ll certainly be missed. Interestingly enough, it’s been spoken that there will only be two more popes. The next one will preside over the Catholic Church for only a brief time and then the final pope will herald the end of times. Food for thought.

1 Comments:

At 1:56 PM, Blogger BeckoningChasm said...

Hmm, interesting. As a lapsed Catholic myself, I was unaware of the End Times thing--I thought that was Baptists, but I don't really keep up with the various flavors of religious beliefs.

Great writing, by the way.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home