Thursday, October 27, 2005

Oh yes, I need to write mo

Today has been rather interesting. Major changes in upper management, at work. People running scared. Others in flames screaming “My job! My job!” Fortunately, my position with the company is such that when I ask if my position is secure, they say “Of course! And you are…?” Yes! I’m the Invisible Man. At my place of employ that’s an honest to gosh REWARD for work well done. Flat out invisibility. They only see you when there’s trouble abrewin’. “Well done faithful servant – I can no longer perceive your existence in my universe”. “Thanks, boss!”
This night is going by pretty fast. It seems my major dilemma is deciding whether or not to participate in NaNoWriMo this November. Thanks, Cullen (as he reaches in his pocket for the Spyderco Harpy). Basically it’s a month long event where the participants attempt to write a 50,000 word novel within that 30 days. I think I can do it. I’ve got this story that’s been rattling around in my head for ages, now. It would be nice to extract it, give it life, embrace it, have it rejected and die a lonely bitter old man. Oh wait, I was going to do that last part anyway. They tell you up front that you’ll be hammering out a lot of trash – but I do that all the time. We’ll see. With my luck it’ll probably come out like “Varney the Vampire”…

2 Comments:

At 8:12 PM, Blogger BeckoningChasm said...

Man, I love obscure references like Varney...ahem, I mean, I hate such in-jokes.

Unless I get them, of course. *Cough* Mary Shelley *Cough*

 
At 12:31 AM, Blogger Cullen Waters said...

Hey, man, people still talk about Varney. Don't forget that.

Bear in mind that first drafts tend to reek anyways. Which is why God invented second drafts... And third... and...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home