Monday, August 21, 2006

The Shat Hit the Fan

An uneventful end of the week. I had the opportunity to spend some quality time with the estranged family. Wife, older stepdaughter and I went over some business issues with the Staffing Agency, later in the day, on Sunday. Earlier that day, however, I had the chance to hang out with daughter Rhiannon, who explained to me the various types of current music she appreciates. I have to admit that my eyes rolled far into the recesses of my cranium when I heard the “new” tune that borrows (steals) the riff “I ain’t got nobody (dum dum dum dum dum) – that I can depend on.” She didn’t believe me when I referenced the ancient verses of one Carlos Santana. Not only that, but for some reason she likes modern day Heavy Metal tunes that are nothing more than poorly recycled 70s – 80s fare. She asked me what music I liked to listen to and I replied “Jazz”. I refrained from sounding snooty. After all, bonding takes precedence, here.
Later in the evening there was a terrific lightning storm that took out my power for about an hour. I didn’t have any emergency lights, etc. handy – so I just sat there in the creeping darkness. Fortunately, the power came back on for me to check out the William Shatner roast on Comedy Central. Parts of it were hilarious. Other parts were just vulgar for it’s own sake. My favorite bit? Uhuru (Nichelle Nichols) approaching Shatner as if to give him a hug and a kiss – then immediately turning around and telling him that he could kiss her black a__ (!) He quickly replied “If I could find it.” (!!) Everyone was a good sport. I was a bit amazed at the wit exhibited by the ageing Betty White. She managed to be vulgar and funny at the same time.
Right now, I’m beginning to collect my thoughts for this year’s NaNoWriMo competition. It’s not until November, but it’s never too soon to begin thinking of ideas for a possible storyline.

5 Comments:

At 10:07 PM, Blogger BeckoningChasm said...

I think Shatner has a pretty good sense of humor about himself. He's always been quick to point out how egotistical he is.

NaNoWriMo...damn, that is coming up, isn't it? I've got a first paragraph and scattered thoughts (sounds like a weather report).

The older we get, the more music we're able to mentally catalog, and thus it seems to exist in cycles. (Only the movies eat their young faster.) Young people, however, haven't our range of experience so it all seems new to them, even though the influences are obvious to us.

That's what I tell myself, anyway.

 
At 12:39 PM, Blogger hbrennan said...

I can understand how young folks can be duped by the music industry in compensation for a stunning lack of imagination. What gets me, though, is when I receive looks of disbelief when I point out things like listening to Ozzy Osbourne 30 years ago and “dammit that song your listening to is a blatant rip off”. Actually, what really bothers me is the lack of imagination demonstrated in a time that can’t comprehend how the music of my generation was born out war, drugs, civil rights protests and a re-evaluation of our entire culture. It just seems that, now, it’s all show and no substance.

 
At 3:55 AM, Blogger Cullen Waters said...

Having a expansive taste in music either means that I'm open to a lot of variety or that I have no real taste at all. I of course prefer to believe the former over the latter.

As for NaNoWriMo, I am both ready for it and at a complete loss. I really should get some outlines and notes ready. Winging it without a net like I did last year can only lead to more sadness on my part.

 
At 6:34 AM, Blogger Rose Ghost said...

Hello Henry! Thanks for visiting my blog(s). I'm glad you liked my Shawshank review.

I'm so looking forward to NaNoWriMo in a weird half dreading it kind of way. It's my first one and I'm scared I won't be able to keep up with writing 5/6 pages a day. I know exactly what I'm writing though, which is a plus I suppose. Anyway good luck!
Hi - Beckoning chasm - I sent you an email re The Cave story with the broken link.

 
At 2:31 PM, Blogger BeckoningChasm said...

Happy (belated) Birthday, while we're on the subject!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home