Monday, June 12, 2006

I See Dead People

Life moves along as always. At the end of this month, I have tickets to visit my mother, sister and her family in Albuquerque. I lived in Albuquerque for about eight and a half years. It’s where my first wife went to school and I met her while selling Kirby vacuums all those years ago. I haven’t seen my mother or sister in over six years, so we should have a lot of catching up to do. Maybe not. After all, I speak to her on a regular basis by phone and after a certain point in your life, the changing tides begin to slow. At least it feels that way.
I saw “The Sixth Sense” this weekend. It’s the first time that I ‘ve seen the movie from start to finish. Wonderfully creepy. Fantastic acting, for a child, by Haley Joel Osment. Bruce Willis was in top form, as well. If you’re one of the three people in Nicaragua who haven’t seen it, I won’t give away the ending – although it was telegraphed like Western Union on crack. It had lots of nice little touches like the sudden appearance of a boy who asks “Would you like to see where my dad keeps his gun?” then he just walks into another room and we don’t see him again. Just an odd footnote from a dead child but a strong reminder why it’s usually not a good idea to keep firearms in a house that has children. The story had an excellent balance between sentimentality and outright horror. It’s definitely one of those films you can watch more than once, like the original “The Haunting”.
Other than that, I decided to spring for a pay-per-view Dish Network all day ticket for “King Kong” on Saturday. Way over the top – but, then again, it’s fantasy from the guy that brought you “Lord of the Rings”. So there you go.
Anyway, that pretty much sums up my weekend beyond hanging out with the wife, kids, pets, etc. My life used to be more interesting. Maybe I’ll write about some of that and hope no one from the pool of relatives and friends (well, maybe friends) reads it. Trust me, some of it’s pretty hair-raising (which is probably why I don’t have much hair, these days.

2 Comments:

At 2:29 PM, Blogger Cullen Waters said...

Why is it that I get the feeling I'm the only person in America who didn't see the end of "Sixth Sense" from a mile off? Still, the movie is at least more than it's end.

On Albuquerque: Man, I love that city. Can't tell you why, as I never spent a great deal of time there. Just seemed pretty.

 
At 11:57 AM, Blogger hbrennan said...

Albuquerque is a great place to live. It has everything from nearby skiing to great food (it's easy to become addicted to green chile). The cost of living is excellent which is why my folks retired out there (that and the climate - though a bit hot in the summer). Albuquerque is definitely a place where I could live out the last days of my life.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home