Thursday, December 01, 2005

Some NaNoWriMo Thoughts

Well. Now that NaNoWriMo is over, I can resume my normally scheduled life. I’ve had some time to think about that particular writing experience and I’m quite surprised by some of the revelations that were presented to me over the course of that month. The thing about speedwriting at high volume is that it unblocks the bottlenecks that normally hinder one’s flow of creation. They tell you that, sure, you’ll be writing a lot of crap but you’ll also find that there are pockets of genuine inspiration mixed in with the sludge. That’s the way it definitely was with me. It was a stream of consciousness exercise that took me places that I had never been before. Tapping into latent abilities translated into several different benefits in my non-writing world, as well. I found my verbalizations to be crisper. I found my wit to be sharper. In essence, my social skills improved. Even things like dream interpretation became more acute. All in all, I would recommend the experience to anyone. I’m definitely in for next November. Hey, even if you don’t finish, like the NaNoWriMo folks say – “You rock for trying.”

2 Comments:

At 5:44 AM, Blogger BeckoningChasm said...

I had many of the same revelations, myself. And yes, I'm there next November. Maybe even January, if I join livejournal.

 
At 11:51 AM, Blogger The Blind-Winger Jones said...

Sounds interesting

 

Post a Comment

<< Home