Monday, February 27, 2006

Happy Birthday, Dad

Today's is my Dad's birthday. He would have been 97. But since he passed away, last April, this is pretty much the only way I'll get to wish him happy birthday. So that's what I'm doing. His was a remarkable life. He served in two wars - going into the military as a private and retiring as a major. (As a dad, he never wanted me to call him "sir" - just "dad"). He then started another career with the City of New York's Dept of Hospitals. He began as an ambulance driver and retired as Chief of Transportation for New York City's Dept. of Hospitals (the highest civil service position in that sector without being elected Commissioner). Somewhere, in there, I was born. Somehow he found time to do everything that a dad should do. Even going so far as to be an Assistant Scoutmaster for my Boy Scout troop. I remember him going to summer camp with me and getting our troop camp site "into shape". He even taught us how to march. Most of the other scouts thought this was pretty humorous and a bit too "military". But that summer, we were given the award of "Best Camp Site" in a Jewish Boy Scout camp where they only served Kosher food. We were the only non-Jewish troop there, made up of mostly African-American scouts from St. Clement's Catholic school. Me - I just mostly get by. I haven't achieved all that much. Oh yeah, there've been a few bright spots in my life and I'm grateful to be where I am. But nothing like Henry Charles Brennan Sr.
Happy Birthday, Dad...

1 Comments:

At 10:01 PM, Blogger BeckoningChasm said...

Allow me to wish your father a happy birthday as well.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home