Wednesday, February 08, 2006

If you can't stand the heat...

Well, here it is, a few days later and I finally get a minute to update my blog. It’s been amazingly cold for the past few days and that is always a cause for concern. My heating bills have more than doubled with the price of gas skyrocketing. Just this last month, my utilities (gas, water and electricity) came out to over $500. That’s almost half my mortgage! It’s ridiculous. My family has a membership to the YMCA, where they exercise daily and take their showers plus we keep the house temperature just above arctic level and still the utility bills are that high. Anyway, I guess I should just be grateful I can afford to pay them. I feel sorry for those who can’t take the hit.

I watched a couple of films, this weekend. “Corpse Bride” was excellent. A great family movie with a lot of style, fantastic visuals and some pretty slick humor. I highly recommend it. The other one was “Grizzly Man” which really should have entitled “Moron Man”. Give me a break. It isn’t so much that the guy was a whack job that somehow managed to avoid being eaten for 13 years. It’s the tree-hugging leftist whackos that encouraged his insanity. C’mon, now. These are dangerous animals. They are not and never will be “people”. Their brains are wired completely differently. As my wife put it, “The bear that got them wasn’t thinking about anything but his next meal.” The real tragedy was that this nutcase managed to get his girlfriend killed in the process. That wasn’t a spoiler, by the way. This is a documentary and everyone knows the outcome. It was nice, although, to see Werner Herzog demonstrating his filmmaking talent. Worth a look.

2 Comments:

At 11:51 AM, Blogger BeckoningChasm said...

I'm sure I don't have to tell you my view of Corpse Bride....

 
At 8:52 PM, Blogger BeckoningChasm said...

I love animals, but one has to recognize that they don't have any sophisticated emotions we would recognize.

Sure, there's fear and anger and certain base emotions, but things like "gratitude," "loyalty" or "give-and-take" are simply foreign to their way of thinking.

There's no way a bear is going to think, "Say, I'm hungry, but eating this guy would be bad PR. Guess I'll find a pic-a-nic basket instead. Also, I should wear my tie and hat."

 

Post a Comment

<< Home