Monday, August 28, 2006

Rainy Days and Mondays

Today feels like I’m dragging myself through a thick sea of mud. It’s probably due to the fact that it’s a rainy day. I never do well on rainy days. Oddly enough, getting up is no problem but after that, it’s a struggle. I had a great birthday weekend. Spoke to all the standard relatives and friends. Received the standard birthday cards, etc. I had dinner out with the estranged wife on Saturday. Spent the day by myself on Sunday. Watched “Star Wars – The Attack of the Clones”. On second viewing, I think I appreciated it a bit more. I had a little more patience for Anakin’s whining and, overall, I guess my expectations were lower than when I paid to see it in the theater. The Jedi’s battle was the highlight for me as well as Yoda taking on Christopher Lee. I have a feeling that when I get an opportunity to see the final chapter (actually Chapter 3) again, I’ll enjoy quite a bit. It didn’t strike me as all that bad when I saw it originally. They were wise to keep a dark edge about it. Not to mention the scene when Darth Vader was outfitted with his new armor and “flipped out” (not a term you would use to describe him in his presence) when he was told that his wife had died. The scene, of course, was reminiscent of the Frankenstein monster being brought to life. Probably the only truly great scene in the last 3 “Star Wars” films. I’ve also noticed that my mind is beginning to spawn new ideas for NaNoWriMo (even in my dreams). It’s amazing how participating in that competition really brings out one’s creative side in day-to-day life.

2 Comments:

At 2:54 AM, Blogger Rose Ghost said...

I didn't go to see the last Star Wars movie because I thought the 2nd one was boring. I might have a go at rewatching it though. Maybe.

Glad to know you're getting ideas for NaNoWriMo.

 
At 1:28 PM, Blogger BeckoningChasm said...

I have a hard time with prequels in general...I fail to see the point. I knew, going in to Phantom Menace that Obi-Wan, Anakin, Yoda, the Emperor, and all the rest would survive, so there was no real peril in anything they faced.

Similarly, I knew Luke's mom would die; again, any sort of suspense or sympathy is difficult when the whole is all pre-ordained to come to a certain point.

The whole thing, while not without some fun scenes, felt like one huge shaggy dog story (or, as I thought at the time, expensively mounted fanfic). I suppose there's a certain clinical interest, like watching someone build a house--how do they make arched doorways, etc.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home