Monday, May 15, 2006

Decent Weekend

Well, here I am. Back from a “well-earned” vacation from writing, posting, reading, doing, etc. I think the rain has something to do with it. The only decent days have been on the weekend and I value those, too much now, to spend them squint-eyed and bleary in front of a computer monitor. I sincerely hope that we will eventually reach a point in our cultural evolution when less time is spent on computers and more face time is given to our fellow humans. Although, you can always argue that computers give the opportunity to communicate with more people than would normally be possible.

I was going to write an article on “The Ape Man” (1956 – a good year for trashy movies and the birth of folks like myself. Of course Bela died that year too, so I guess it’s a strange year, at best). But then I decided that rehashing that pathetic old flick was a rather redundant exercise. Besides, it’s not like I’m shooting for any kind of readership. This is more of an exercise in self reflection than a scrambling for attention or validation. Heaven knows, I’ve spent enough hours with that pursuit.

I got paid on Saturday and noticed I picked up a thousand dollar raise based on my review. Not all that much, but I’m thankful for any pat on the back, at this stage of the game. It also looks like I may be heading up one of the new projects due to start in a couple of months so I guess I get to keep on working. Always a good thing. I didn’t do much this weekend except rest, visit with the animals and watch a little TV. I’m really enjoying my new satellite dish. The digital recorder that came as a free add-on to new subscribers is amazingly cool. Tonight is a “24” night. I hope Jack Bauer gets a bathroom break during this "real time" hour…

3 Comments:

At 6:14 AM, Blogger BeckoningChasm said...

I wonder whether computers bring us together or isolate us. It's true they allow us to communicate with thousands at once, but "Online," we can represent outselves as other than we actually are, and there isn't any "checkpoint" for that. That seems to me to create a further layer of isolation, a way of filtering out things that don't agree with our worldview.

 
At 10:25 AM, Blogger hbrennan said...

It's always been my experience that only a small percentage of the population can truly misrepresent who they "really are". Our natures always manifest themselves in the end. On the contrary, I believe we show more of our true selves online since there's little danger of physical rejection. If we're "rejected", then we just move on until we find a group that adheres to our perception of they type of feedback we desire. Because of this, our collective social skills may diminish when interacting with others outside of cyberspace.

 
At 11:31 AM, Blogger BeckoningChasm said...

Very good points.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home