Thursday, March 23, 2006

Spring Day

Cold, clear day. The sort of day that immediately wakes you up when you step outside for the first time. It’s also the kind of day that makes me grateful that I’m originally from the Northeast and not from the Tennessee\Mississippi area. These people think it’s actually cold when it’s in the 40’s. Not me. I hate the heat. You can always dress more warmly, but when it’s hot… What are you going to do? Show up for work in your underwear? Hot pants? Actually that’s a thought. I’d probably get invited to fewer meetings that way. Meetings are like vampires, except with less class. They just suck the life right out of you without the decency to be charming or sexy.
Speaking of which, I’m currently reading “Midnight Mass” by F. Paul Wilson. A light, interesting read in which the author (a former Catholic) starts off by methodically bashing Catholics, then does a complete 180 “upholding the faith”. I find that pretty hilarious. I guess you can take the kid out of the parochial school, but you can’t take the parochial school, etc. etc. The ghost of Sister Mary Maladjusted lingers on long after the slap marks disappear. Not that I’m one to talk. It took me forever to pin down the various theological errors in Catholicism. I guess I won’t be appearing in any Mel Gibson flicks any time soon. Not that that was ever a remote possibility. I hear the movie was horrible. I’ll have to see it.
Good day. Feeling good. Who could ask for more?

2 Comments:

At 1:43 PM, Blogger BeckoningChasm said...

Wow, talk about your coincidences--the first movie review I wrote was for the utterly awful big screen adaptation of "Midnight Mass."

Nice to know the book is no better.

 
At 11:43 AM, Blogger hbrennan said...

Although it has it's moments, the book is way too predictable and eschews any depth of description. It's not that the author has no story to tell, it's just that his skill at telling it is lacking. It weighs in at only 400 pages and thus we have all story and no mood. This is where we see a stark contrast between a work like this and, say, Stephen King's "Hearts in Atlantis" or Anne Rice's "The Witching Hour".

 

Post a Comment

<< Home