Wednesday, March 22, 2006

I've Been Tagged

I’ve recently been “tagged” by Beckoning Chasm to list seven songs that I’m currently into, then tag seven other people to do the same. Sort of a paradox, since the only people I really write to in blog form are the folks who have already been tagged by Chasm. Wrong damn generation, I suppose. None of my old friends blog. Oh well. Wait, I take that back – I could tag Ken Begg, but he has enough to do, what with being on constant alert for horrid films that lurk in the shadows awaiting the unsuspecting. I’ll reprint the list here:

1."The Romantic Warrior" (Return to Forever)
2. "The Dreaming"(Kate Bush)
3. "Elephants in Love" (Jean Luc Ponty)
4. "Night Song" (Noel Pointer)
5. "Hejira" (Joni Mitchell)
6. "Night Flight" (Joe Sample)
7. "Ironbound" (Suzanne Vega)

I recommend them all (although Suzanne Vega can be a bit depressing at times. Witness “Luka” and “Small Blue Thing”. If I had to replace Suzanne, it would be with Rickie Lee Jones’ “Coolsville” or Bruce Cockburn’s “Inner City Front”). Nothing too obscure on this list, yet nothing really mainstream, either. The thing about each tune is that each one represents a milestone in my life. From driving back to the Army post through the snow after a weekend at home (New York City to Ft. Monmouth, N.J.) listening to “Hejira” to hanging out in a rooming house in Hyannis, MA listening to “The Dreaming” for the first time and standing there, astonished. Sometimes, music is everything.

2 Comments:

At 8:26 AM, Blogger Cullen Waters said...

S'funny. Suzanne Vega's the only name on your list I recognized, and until I read "Luka" I couldn't exactly know why. That song was playing all the time back when I was in high school; now-a-days you just don't hear it any more.

Which, all things considered, shouldn't surprise me...

 
At 8:35 AM, Blogger hbrennan said...

You don't recognize Joni Mitchell!!! AARRGGHH - I'm SO old.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home